Florida is home to more registered boats than any other state in the country. It is also known as the boating capital of the USA. As a result, Florida experiences more boating accidents than any other recreational area in the entire country. If you’ve been involved in a serious boating accident, you may be wondering what to do next. Here’s a look at what you should know to protect your interests and obtain compensation.
Personal Law: Boating Accident
Understanding Your Legal Rights after a Boating Accident
If you or a family member sustained an injury during a boating incident, you may have the legal right to obtain compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, lost income, and/or wrongful death. Before you can receive financial compensation for any of these circumstances, you must pursue a personal injury claim or wrongful death claim against the person and/or business responsible for causing the boating accident.
How Our Attorneys Can Help with Boating Accidents
Building your claim after a boating accident can be difficult. Three sets of maritime laws exist, including international, federal, and state. If you’ve been injured in a boating accident, a Mann Law attorney can help navigate the legal process required to prove your claim. Each case is different, and it takes someone with knowledge of these laws to build a successful case.
Why it is Important to Look at the Type of Boating Accident?
Mann Law attorneys provide the following help to boating accident clients:
– Discover which international, federal, and Florida State Statutes are applicable in your case
– Assist in finding necessary evidence of fault
– Interview witnesses
– Assess information contained in accident reports
– Determine who to hold liable for your claim
– Gather required proof of liability
– Initiate your claim
– File your lawsuit
– Assist and guide you in all legal aspects of your case, including pursuing the case in court or negotiating an agreement to settle outside of court
The type of accident and the body of water influence who can be held liable for your boating accident. Some of the most common causes of boating accidents include:
– Boating under the influence
– Reckless operation of the boat
– Excessive speed
– Navigating in bad weather
– Collision with another vessel or fixed surface
– Overcrowding of the boat
– Defective parts on the boat
– Improper maintenance of the boat
– Failure to stock safety equipment on the boat
– Making contact with a large wake or wave while speeding
– Propeller contact
– Overloading of the boat
– Failure to understand the rules of proper boating
Once you are involved in a boating accident, the burden of proving who was at fault for your injuries or damage to your property falls on you. It may be difficult to find the proof needed to show who is responsible for the accident. Mann Law attorneys can help you build a strong boating accident case. Please contact Mann Law if you would like a free consultation and review to discuss your boating accident and the steps you can take to obtain compensation for your injuries.